There is so much to consider when choosing the best kitchen knife set. You need to consider the amount of space in your kitchen, the amount you want to spend, among other important things. When buying a kitchen knife set, you need valuable information to help you choose one that is worth your money.
We have done extensive research and come up with a list of the top 5 from the best kitchen knife set brands. Just to remind you, there are many brands out there and choosing the best can be a difficult task.
That’s why we have compiled this kitchen knife buyer’s guide and reviews to help you know what is worth your money so you can get cooking fast. We hope this guide will save a lot of your time which could have been wasted when selecting the perfect kitchen knife to buy.
What Kitchen Knives Do You Need?
There are many types of kitchen knives out there. Some are multipurpose and others are meant for particular uses. You do not need all the kitchen knives on the market, but you need those that will suit your cooking needs.
Here is a list of the 9 most common kitchen knives for professional chefs and amateurs alike.
- Chef’s Knife: This is a multipurpose knife that has a long blade between 6 to 14 inches long. This does not need to miss in your kitchen knife set because you will use it every day. It will help you when cutting meat, chopping vegetables and many other uses.
- Paring: Unlike the kitchen knife, the paring knife is small and usually with a short blade between 2 to 4 inches long with a pointed edge that looks like a smaller version of the kitchen knife. It is also a multipurpose knife since you can use it for peeling fruit or vegetables with accurate cutting.
- Steak Knife: Mostly used at the dinner table. Steak knives are small and are usually used for cutting steak, fish, salads, spreading butter and more.
- Boning Knife: The boning knife is thin and flexible with a sharp tip. As the name suggests, this knife is used for tearing meat from the bone. It is usually 3 to 8 inches long. It comes with a different variety of blades including stiff, flexible and semi-flexible blades. The flexible blade is ideal for chicken.
- Bread Knife: Usually, the bread knife is used for cutting cakes, bread, but it can also cut seafood, meat, and chicken. It looks like an extended version of the serrated utility knife. This knife will cut your bread without squishing it.
- Santoku Knife: It resembles the chef’s knife but has a different tip and is shorter and thinner. Santoku is a Japanese word which means slicing, dicing, and mincing. Its blade is lighter.
- Utility Knife: Usually has a blade between 4 to 7 inches long. It is sometimes called a tomato knife due to the fact that is it used for chopping tomatoes. It can also be used for cutting small meat and vegetables.
- Cleaver Knife: The cleaver knife is heavy and slightly weighty. It comes with a durable blade for chopping meat. It can also chop hard and thick things like pumpkin and squash. This type of knife is ideal for use in restaurants.
- Carving Knife: Has a long and sharp edge ideal for accurate slicing of thin meat. It is used for roasts and is 8 to 15 inches long.
The decision to pick any of the above types of kitchen knives will depend on your needs, but a chef’s knife, paring knife, boning knife, and utility knife is recommended for most kitchen cutting needs. But you could also get some steak knives for cutting meat at dinner times.
The Culinary 6-piece Genesis takes the first position of our best kitchen knife set reviews. The knives are designed with ergonomic handles that make them comfortable to hold while cutting and chopping materials. The knives’ blades are made with high-carbon German steel which prevents corrosion, resist rust and staining.
This kitchen knife set comes with a block which is made with stylish tapered glass. The glass block can be placed upright on your kitchen counter. The good thing about the glass block is that it is transparent enough so you can see all the knives which make it easy for you to select the knife you want to use.
Mercer is a brand that produces high-quality, precision culinary items and the Genesis forged 6-piece is no exception.
When you buy this knife set, you get 6 pieces, including an 8-inch chef’s knife, 8-inch bread knife, 6-inch boning knife, 5-inch utility knife, a 3.5-inch paring knife and a knife holder which is made of glass. After you have finished using the knives, you are highly advised to hand wash them.
The precision forged construction makes them stronger and durable. Santoprene, the black material used to make the handles is also tough and cannot be broken easily when exposed to water, heat or oil.
Overall, the kitchen knife set comes with comfortable, sturdy and efficient knives to provide excellent quality for professional chefs and beginners alike. The single-piece blades of the knives are made with heavy-duty materials to last longer. The handles provide enough grip when holding the knives so you do not have to worry about the knives sliding while chopping or cutting materials.
- Tapered transparent glass block makes it easy to select your preferred knife
- Handles provide enough grip when holding
- Block can be disassembled when cleaning
- Knives made with high-carbon German steel which does not rust, resists corrosion, and discoloration.
- Comes with enough set of knives ideal for every kitchen cutting and chopping needs- chef’s knife, bread knife, boning knife, utility knife, and paring knife.
- The knives are prone to rust with time
- The sharpness of the knives fades with time
Victorinox is a brand that became popular after the release of their Classic Swiss Army Knife. The company is recognized for the manufacture of quality household and specialized cutlery for many years, but it has now released the Victorinox Swiss Classic Knife set with 15 different types of knives that are functional for every type of food preparations.
The handles of the knives provide enough grip when holding. The set comes with 15 pieces of durable and long-lasting sharp knives including:
- (2) 5-inch and 8-inch chef’s knives
- (6) 4.5-inch steak knives
- A 3.2-inch paring knife
- A 4.5-inch utility knife
- A 7-inch Santoku knife
- An 8-inch bread knife
- A 9-inch butcher’s knife-steel
- Two kitchen shears, plus a hardwood knife block.
The handle of the knives prevents wrist strain, especially when using them for an extended period of time.
The most important thing about these knives is that they are made with high-carbon steel blades to enhance the sharpness. What’s more? The edges are uniquely designed to keep the blades sharp for a long time.
In addition, this best kitchen knife set dishwasher safe makes cleaning a breeze. Plus, most of the knives in this set are popular on Amazon. They are incredibly sharp and reliable. However, you need to dry them immediately after washing to avoid rust issues.
Usually, a good kitchen knife set should have knives that are high-quality and comfortable when holding and this is what you will get from this knife set.
- The knife set is dishwasher safe, so cleaning is a breeze
- Handles are grippy when holding so they do not slip
- Incredibly sharper and reliable blades
- Knives are made with durable material for longevity
- The set comes with a lifetime warranty
- Although the handles are grippy, they are not good quality
- Paring and steak knives are prone to bend easily.
3. Chicago Cutlery Elston
Looking for an incredible set of knives that won’t break the bank? Chicago Cutlery Elston is the best option for you. This kitchen knife set comes with 16 different knives all meant to take your food preparation to significant levels.
The greatest thing about this knife set is that the knives are made with quality high-carbon stainless steel blades that are why they are sharper and provide accurate cutting. The wooden knife block provides an incredible storage for all your knives. The knives come with stainless steel handles which are also curved to provide comfort so you don’t experience wrist strain when cutting with materials.
Unlike stamped knives which do not offer the perfect weight and balance, these ones are forged. Since the blades are made with quality material, they do not rust nor do they get stained easily.
But remember to hand wash and dry the knives before storing them on the block.
When you buy this knife set, you get an 8-inch chef’s knife, 6.75-inch bread knife, (2) 3.25-inch paring knives and (2) 4.25-inch utility knives, kitchen shears, sharpening steel and 8 steak knives.
Overall, the Chicago Elston knife set makes the best choice for all your cooking needs. The sharpness you get from the blades in this set, plus the comfort you get when holding them as you cut your meat and vegetables is all that a chef would want to have from a knife. However, this knife set may not be the best option for experienced chefs because it comes with knives that are only ideal for casual cutting tasks in the kitchen.
- Easy to clean
- Blades made with high-carbon steel
- Sturdy forged blade
- Stainless steel handles that are slip resistant
- Incredibly sharp
- Comes with a stainless steel sharpener
- Not dishwasher safe
- Knives come with grippy handles, but they can slip on oil hands
4. AmazonBasics Premium
Amazon Premium is the best kitchen knife set with block. The price tag might make you think that this knife set is poor quality, but this 18-Piece Knife Block Set delivers excellent results. To begin with, the knives retain the sharpness even after using them repeatedly. The blades are made with a rust-resistant stainless steel, but you should not put them in the dishwasher.
Also, the knives are made with ergonomic handles for a comfortable grip. When you buy this knife set, you get almost all the types of knives for every type of food preparation including:
- An 8-inch chef’s knife,
- An 8-inch bread knife,
- A 5.5-inch utility knife,
- An 8-inch slicer,
- A 3.5-inch paring knife,
- A 6-inch boning knife,
- (8) 4.5-inch steak knives,
- One set of kitchen shears,
- A sharpening bar and a knife block made with wood.
The knives are made with full tang blades. The greatest thing about this knife set is that the bread knife has soft, circular scallops that allow cutting of soft foods easily. The lengths of the shears are also good.
Summarizing, the Amazon Premium is the best option for your cooking needs. The comfortable handles and the high-quality materials used in constructing the knives’ blades guarantee that the knives will retain their sharpness even after using them regularly. You get all these at a budget-friendly price.
- Easy to sharpen
- Stainless steel blades are sharp
- Comfortable when holding the knives due to the ergonomic handles
- Blades retain sharpness even when used regularly
- Knives made with durable materials to last longer
- Not dishwasher safe
- The handles are slightly bulky so the knives may not be ideal for people who want light knives
5. Chicago Cutlery Fusion
Chicago Cutlery is a reputable brand in the kitchen knife industry and the Chicago Cutlery Fusion knife set with 18 different knives is a complete selection for your food preparation needs. The best part is that it comes with most used knives such as the Santoku, steak knives, and serrated knives.
The kitchen knife set is reasonably priced with grippy black handles which makes the knives slip-resistant when using them, which guarantee safety and security for you and your loved ones in the kitchen.
The knives’ blades are made with high-carbon stainless steel which is durable and long-lasting. The blades are dishwasher safe which means you hand wash them before storage.
Although they are dishwasher safe, you may expect them to be rust resistant, but users have complained about some rusting issues when using them. However, the most significant thing is that the blades will retain their sharpness even when used regularly.
When you buy this set, you get a Santoku knife, a utility knife, a boning knife, 8 steak knives, a chef’s knife, a slicing knife, a bread knife, a paring knife, an 8-inch sharpener, and kitchen shears.
The knives are sharpened out of the block, but you can sharpen them when you want, but for the steak knives, you will not have to sharpen it since it is made with micro-serrated edges.
Overall, the Chicago Cutlery Fusion is the best option for you for the durability and comfort you will get when working with the knives. The materials used to construct the knives are easy to clean and maintain.
- Sharp blades capable of retaining the sharpness even when used regularly
- Ergonomic handles prevent slipping of the knives when cutting materials
- Complete package for your kitchen cutting needs
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Durable construction for longevity
- Not dishwasher safe and is prone to rust
- Knives are slightly heavier so not ideal for people who prefer light items.
Choosing a Kitchen Knife Set – Comprehensive Buyer’s Guide
If you are looking for the best kitchen knife set, whether for use in your kitchen or in your restaurant, you need to consider some important factors to ensure you get the best for your money. Remember this is an investment and you will spend money on it so you want to ensure you buy something that is worth your money.
This implies that it’s something that although will not last forever, it will last longer. You also want to ensure you are getting the types of knives you will be using for your type of food preparations.
In this case, you will ensure to consider what’s in the set. That is the number of pieces in the set.
Well, you do not have to buy an 18-piece set yet an 8-piece is enough, but having more than what you need would be a good thing. That’s not all, there are other factors to consider which may include but not limited to:
The weight of the knives is an important factor to consider when buying your kitchen knife set. This is perhaps important for a Santoku or a chef’s knife. Well, there is no ideal weight for a kitchen knife because some may want slightly heavier, while other people may want a light one. But it is good to ensure the weight is comfortable to work with.
- Blade material
While all knives are made with stainless steel material, there are some made with ceramic material. Ceramic material is prone to break easily so it’s not recommended. You should consider buying knives made with stainless steel material. But not all steel is created the same.
The best quality steel is high-carbon stainless steel which is sturdy and easy to sharpen. The material is easy to clean and is also rust-resistant but you need to dry the blade before storage.
Stainless steel is also another best material, but the knives will dull fast and re-sharpening them is not easy.
- The Comfort of the handle
How comfortable and balanced the knife is in your hand can make or break the outcome of your cooking. Some knives are built with bulky or heavy handles which makes them uncomfortable to hold.
The best knives are those made with ergonomic handles. Remember, safety and security are two important things when you are in the kitchen. So, you must ensure not the knife does not slip while cutting. A knife that grips on the handle would be the best choice for you.
- Handle materials
Usually, knives are made with plastic or stainless steel handles. These materials are sturdy and durable. Nevertheless, there are knives that are made with wooden handles. But these types of handles need to be kept away from water to prevent them from breaking.
In this case, you need to buy knives with wooden handles only if you can give them the maxim care they require. Remember, they are not supposed to be placed in the dishwasher nor anywhere they can come into contact with water.
- Types of Knives
There are different types of knives, some of which serve specific purposes while others are multi-purpose. For instance, a chef’s knife can do a lot of cutting in the kitchen which includes but not limited to chopping vegetables, meat, and more. A paring knife is small and is meant for cutting small things.
A serrated knife would be the best for slicing bread and roasts. A kitchen knife set that contains a combination of the above would be the best for your food preparation needs.
Manufacturers who are willing to offer a lifetime warranty for their products shows that they are quality. For your information, manufacturers do not offer lifetime warranty or money back guarantee anyhow, they must have tested their products to ensure they are durable enough to last longer.
However, you must also take precautions not to place the knives in a dishwasher since that may void the warranty.
To ensure the knives have a lifetime warranty, ensure to check them before you start using them. Also, if not a lifetime warranty, you can choose knives with a 5-year money back guarantee.
A dull/blunt knife will not only waste your time, but will also leave you with an aching wrist. Most quality kitchen knives come sharpened and retain the sharpness even after used for an extended period of time. Although sharper knives are dangerous, they can save time and energy.
Buying a kitchen knife is an investment. You do not want it to last for a few months, but for an extended period of time. In this case, you need to consider a kitchen knife set with good quality knives that you can use them for a long period of time while delivering great results.
We do not recommend people to consider this as a determinant factor when purchasing a kitchen knife set, but if you are sure you will do lots of cutting and chopping, you may want to invest in a quality knife. But this will depend on the amount you want to spend on the knife set and the food preparation you have in your kitchen.
There you have it: The 5 best kitchen knife set reviews and a comprehensive buyer’s guide. Whether you are an experienced chef or you are just a beginner, you should know how to choose the best kitchen knife set for your needs.
A knife set that consists of a chef’s knife, utility knife, and a paring knife would make the best option for you. However, you can choose a knife set that has more than those we have mentioned.
The reason why we recommend buying a knife set with the above knives is that they are multipurpose and can be used for various types of cutting.
We understand it can get complicated, confusing, and overwhelming when choosing a kitchen knife set and that’s why we have pulled out the best available on the market today so that you can find the selection process simple, and interesting. And also, to help you make an informed buying decision.